Wednesday 1 April 2009

The Boat that Rocked

Last night we went to see a free sneak preview of "The Boat that Rocked." The first thing you have to say is that it has an amazing soundtrack, but would really expect anything less from a movie about a pirate radio station in 1966?

The plot is pretty simple. Rock Radio is a pirate station which operates from a boat in the North Sea and the government wants to shut it and other pirate stations down. The main character is a young Carl who's mom ships him out to the boat which is run by his godfather.

It's pretty much what you'd expect, sex, drugs and rock n roll. That being said it is cute and funny. My favorite person being Angus, played by Rhys Darby who plays Murray on Flight of the Conchords.

Maybe it's the New Zealand accent, maybe it's because I love Murry, but I found him the funniest. If you don't know Murray, just watch this.

As always I won't give too much away, because I hate spoilers. I did find it interesting that fat, hairy men had women falling all over them just because they were radio DJs. I've never thought Rhys Ifans was attractive, but man his voice is sexy in this movie.

That being said there is some eyecandy for the ladies. I still haven't decided if Carl was cute or not, but Mark woa, yes!

I have a thing for leather pants, what can I say? Unfortunately for y'all in the states, it doesn't come out until August 28th! So that's quite a wait, but it's well worth it.

2 comments:

Bethy{aka}lilsis said...

I love love love Bill Nighy! That man is hilarious!

iODyne said...

I love Bill Nighy too - you must see him play an Ozzy Osbourne type in 'Still Crazy', but The Boat was really Rhys Ifans moment.
and I am looking for a soundtrack to buy, which is how I landed here ... by Guugle.
The Kinks, The Boxtops - The Letter
Easybeats -Friday On My Mind
Hang On Sloopy, OTIS doing 'These Arms Of Mine', The Yardbirds 'For Your Love'
oh MODS rule, and, just 2 bars of 'Snatch It Back And Hold It' the Junior Wells song

what a great film.