Monday 4 October 2010

Retail me this...

Update: I received the sweetest note and a new fleece in the correct size from Lands End yesterday. I really appreciate that they took the time to make it right. It just goes to show that if you aren't happy with your retail experience say something about it!

So I purchased a fleece and a jacket from Land's End who are renowned for their customer service and durability guarantee. When the items arrived they were WAY too big, like NotBlondeHusband could wear them, too big. It was advised in the item notes to "size-up" which I did and ended up with the wrong size.




I phoned up today as I wanted to exchange them for the correct sizes, however I was told that because the items were a sale price and are now a higher price I could not. They'd be happy to issue a refund, but no exchange. Ummm, what?


The exact same items, exact same colours are available in the correct sizes, but because they are now listed at a higher price than what I paid (even though they are the same item number) and therefore I can not exchange them.

You'd think a company known for it's customer service wouldn't have such cracked out policies. Any store I've ever been to has also been happy to exchange like for like regardless of past/present price. In fact anywhere I've worked has always encouraged exchanges over refunds. Is it just me or does this make no sense what so ever?

5 comments:

Lillysaur said...

That´s weird. I´ve never had a problem with Land´s End here. I just tuck the item in the mailer they provide, check that I need a different size and send it in, get said item in different size as long as the size is still available and all is well. Regardless of what the price is.

Anonymous said...

That is incredibly annoying. I've always heard such good things about Lands' End as well. Super lame.

Vegemite Wife said...

I got stung this week too. The Husband bought me a lovely £600 Aquascutum coat on sale. Aquascutum and I don't agree on what size 10 is... Yes they have a size 8 in the same coat, but it will coat me an extra £60. Tossers. I took a credit note.

Boo, Jax and Bo said...

This might be difficult for you since you're out of the country but I just had this issue w/ a Land's End return and I was told that if I returned in the store and then called FROM the store (they have Land's End in Sears here now) and gave the sales person my old order number they'd re-order me the item at the same price as I'd originally paid. If you know anyone in the US who could do that for you it might be your best bet. Good luck!

Amanda said...

If this happened to me I would buy the item under a different name and credit card (like NBH) and then return the wrong size item with the new order at the high price. =) It is a pain in the ass, but I've done it at other stores in the past. shh...