Tuesday 24 May 2011

Feminist Friday v.VII: Gender Roles

My best friend forwarded me this article today about a couple in Canada who are keeping the sex of their third child a secret and it inspired me for this week's theme. One of my biggest pet peeves is when the terms "sex" and "gender" are used interchangeably--they aren't the same thing.  Sex (whether you are male or female) is biologically determined and gender (masculine or feminine) is culturally constructed. It's not DNA that means little boys play with trucks and little girls with dolls, it's culture. 


So this week I want to know your stories, opinions, point-of-view on gender roles.  Are you or would you raise a genderless child? Do you challenge or conform to gender stereotypes?  Write about whatever you want as long as it falls under the theme of gender roles.

The Friday Feminist Mom Round up


Here's how it works. Write a blog about being a feminist mom, raising a feminist child, a rant or anything that falls under the realm of being a feminist mom. Come back and link your post and post the button on your blog.


That's it.


You don't even have to be a blogger to take part - just send me your post and I will publish it on my blog for you. You don't even have to include your name if you prefer.


When you've published it, come back on Friday and via a widget thing you can add a link to your post and share it with everyone. The link remains open for 4 days.


Visit others, comment if you like them or feel inspired by them. Just go out and encourage and support other feminist Moms.


The more support you give, the more you will get back! I can't wait to meet and interact with other feminist moms around the world!

1 comment:

Ellen said...

I wasn't going to do Feminist Friday because I've got so much to do, but I can feel it writing itself - it's such a huge issue. I'll probably be back later.